Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blog # 2 American Icons

Comic Con

1) What does this icon represent to you? Why?

Comic con represents a place where nerds can be free and appreciated for the things that they do. No matter if its memorizing all the lines to the fourth episode in the second season of Star Trek or making a costume from your favorite anime. I have attended comic con for the past two years. I know the people behind the curtain I have been staff and I am asked to the yearly meetings. So this is really what Comic Con is; a place where everyone is excepted.

2) Who and what was important to this Icon? Why?

People all over the world attend this event. Without the dedicated fans comic con would happen. People who are willing to pay $200 for a ticket people who are will to help and volunteer. Comic appeals to a huge fan base as well they can draw from almost anything from Science Fiction to modeling.

3) How did this Icon become important in American culture?

If a San Diego native asks you "have you ever been to Comic Con?" and you reply with "what's that?" You will receive a horrified stare. Comic con is know world wide. Its important because it’s a place to meet new people and experience a different culture than any other place in the world. No other place is more excepting or overflowing with creative energy.

4) How did this Icon become important to you?

My first year there I made great friends with all the art show staff. They welcomed me into the one quiet place in the con. They showed me the ropes and took care of me. There's a place called Ballroom 20 and that’s where all the people I know spend time. I have made so many friends there and many of them I only see once a year but that once a year are the best four days of my summer.

5) Who and what did this Icon inspire?

Comic con has inspired a multitude of other conventions all over America. Providing a place and time for people to come out of their nerd caves.

6) Who does this Icon effect?

It inspires people to be creative to meet people with their same interests. It brings a lot of revenue into San Diego too.

Shel Dorf

1. What does this Icon represent to you? Why?

He represents the spirit of comic the heart and soul of all that is comic con because he is the founder of comic con.

2. Who and what was important to this Icon? Why?

Conventions have always been a big part of Dorf’s life when he lived in Detroit he took over the “Detroit Triple Fan Fair” from its founder. When he moved to San Diego he founded a one day convention that eventually evolved into the Comic Con we all know and love.

3. How did this Icon become important in American culture?

Founding Comic con and running for so many years. He was the one that in 1991 moved it to its current location the San Diego Convention Center.

4. How did this Icon become important to you?

My mother has always been a part of comic con in fact she met Shel Dorf! He is important to me because he actually was the one who started the whole thing.

5. Who and what did this Icon inspire?

The people who run comic con now have to live up to him and he’s inspired people to create conventions of their own. Like the many that now take place in San Diego alone.

6. What would you say to your Icon if you could?

All I could say is Thank you. There are no words to express my gratitude towards the man who brought conventions to my world.

The Vlog Brothers

1. What does this Icon represent to you? Why?

They represent global awareness and a national community created through the internet that is there to better the planet.


2. Who and what was important to this Icon? Why?

They make daily vlogs and work to change the world through the community they’ve created. They care about the environment current issues and global health. They have found a way to connect with millions of people and they are humbled by that fact. They know they can use their power to do something good.

3. How did this Icon become important in American culture?

Well one day they just posted a video on youtube and some people noticed them. Then some more people noticed them. Then youtube noticed them and asked them to become partners. So being youtube partners allowed for vloging to become their job so they spent more time made plans got a huge fan base and started helping the world.

4. How did this Icon become important to you?

One day I was browsing youtube and I came across one of their videos. They were asking people to go and vote for a charity I liked to get $5 million donated towards it. I immediately did that (of course) and then I got wrapped up in them. I spent a few hours going through their videos and now even though I’ve never met them before I feel kind of like I know them as friends.

5. Who and what did this Icon inspire?

They inspire people to go out and change the world. Hank Green (one of the brothers) his resent birthday present were pictures of over half their viewers outside planting trees.

6. What are ways you can contribute towards your Icon?

Well first off you can subscribe to them and watch their videos then you can help when they ask for it and provide suggestions for the next thing they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment